Tuesday, August 17, 2010

When it rains, it pours

I am sooo tired.

My friend-the-bride decided today that she wanted the zipper replaced in her wedding dress. So after leaving work I got my daughter and took her home. While waiting for my friend to call I showed my daughter how I drilled holes in the mah jongg tiles.

This time I used the green & white speckle-backed tiles with copper beads. Living in Arizona one gets to see a lot of copper. I love mixing old and new and the green of the tiles reminded me of the patina of old copper, so I wanted the shiny new copper beads to go with it. I'm very pleased with the result. I might try it again with some Bali copper beads I saw at the same bead store.

After going to the bride's house and measuring the old zipper I slowly made my way to the fabric store to get a new zipper. Sadly, all the local fabric stores have closed so I have to travel much farther than I used to.

Why was I slow? Of course, that's when Scottsdale got hit with a microburst. The palo verde in our front yard snapped at the base as I was leaving home and I saw downed branches and light poles all over the place. So I took my time getting to and from the store. I removed the old zipper after I got back and told her I'd be back tomorrow to put the new one in.

I was tired when I got home but the rhythm of the steady rain was soothing so I went outside to drill one more bracelet. Similar to what I did Monday night, it has six 1-9 Character tiles and the large twisty modern red cinnabar beads.

Jennifer commented today that she liked the meaning I had in one of the bracelets. I actually try to do that in most of my bracelets. For myself, I prefer the Wind tiles in the N-E-W-S order since I'm a journalist and I try to match them with the dragon tiles since I was born in the year of the dragon. I also like to spell out important dates if possible with the numbered tiles.

Of course, some are just a pretty blend of different tiles.

Well, I head back tomorrow to hopefully finish the wedding dress zipper. Please wish me luck!

Click on any photo to see it larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment