Sunday, August 15, 2010

Drillin', drillin', drillin', Rextiles!

Phew, what a weekend!

I got my new drill press, got it set up and, after a lot of adjustment, drilled my first holes in more than two years. Yee haw!

I drilled purple glitter and purple mardi gras tiles for me (both sides are shown), green stripes and green checks for Mom. (Can you guess what our favorite colors are?)

I also strung these tiles with a purple glass pearl. I really like how the pearly surface set off the sparkly tile. I'm looking for matte beads too since I have more glitter and mardi gras tiles. I might restring the pictured braclet too if I can find some purple matte beads for it.

Saturday I drilled three green striped and three red striped tiles for a Christmas bracelet I'm working on for me with gingerbread boy polymer beads from Kennick Kreations. The red and green striped tiles made me think of Christmas candy. I'm having to adjust the beads a bit since my gingerbread boys are about 12mm in diameter so I needed 4mm fiber optics rounds to make the size I need for my wrist. (I've found the perfect mah jongg bracelet for me is six tiles and 20mm of spacers between each tile, such as two 10mm beads, or a 12 mm bead with two 4mm beads on each side.) After getting the right beads I realized my Stretch Magic™ Elastic 1mm cord was too big so I'll need to find something smaller on the way home. I don't like .5mm so I hope to find some .7mm or .8mm. We shall see. I'll post photos soon.

I spent most of Sunday finishing a friend's wedding dress alterations. She leaves for Hawaii on Friday and is getting married next Sunday on the beach. She got a gorgeous dress (right) but sadly the shop where she got the dress had no records of her pre-paying for alterations and wouldn't do it. Of course I said I'd help her and shortened the skirt so it's ankle length in back, raised the hemline in the front to mid-shin, and shortened the straps, too.

We had a scary moment when she was trying it on for the last time. When we went to take it off her the zipper stuck! After much effort (and tears) we got it off her. I offered to put a new zipper in but she refused. I told her to think about it overnight....

Click on any photo to see it larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment