Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Advent

What's a girl to do when she's nuts about the holidays but works for a bishop who is adamant about the separation of Advent and Christmas?

I love the holidays. Starting with Halloween and ending with Epiphany on Jan. 6 (I celebrate Christmas for as long as possible!) I get all sentimental and happy. I decorate for each holiday and wear annoying holiday-themed clothes and jewelry.

I was contemplating the first Sunday of Advent, which is a season of waiting and preparation, in church Sunday and I thought about Advent wreaths. My eye fell upon my Mah Jongg bracelet and I had an early Epiphany. An Advent bracelet!

I went home had chose three purple tiles and one pink tile. (The pink tile is for the third Sunday in Advent which traditionally is rose or pink in honor of Mary or Gaudete Sunday.) I paired them with large 12mm crystal rounds. I'm quite pleased with it and version of this will be available in my Etsy shop.

I drilled a necklace last night for a customer who bought an Ivory-colored Mah Jongg tile on 18inch silver cable choker but asked if I had any Flower tiles instead. I found, and she approved, a Flower tile on a green flower-backed tile. I paired it with a green cable since it added to both sides beautifully.

Finally, I made a cute red and green checked bracelet similar to what Mom did in August but forgot to photograph it. Oops. Three green-checked tiles alternate with three red-checked tiles. This can be worn year round but I admit I had Christmas in mind as I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment